Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sashing Adventures

On Monday, I started measuring and cutting my 1 1/2 inch wide strips for the sashing on my blocks. My plan was to cut enough strips to test on one block then cut the rest, 48 strips total. The fabric is black. I chose black because I had 4 yards of it (for free) and I knew it would make the colors of the quilt pop. Well, I started cutting and noticed that the fabric was very stretchy, as mentioned before. I had the hardest time sewing the first strip into place. I starched and starched and not a bit of difference.

I went to my wonderful fellow quilters on quiltingboard.com :) and got lots of feedback on the fabric, and was told I was better off not using what I had, and to go out and get new, 100% cotton fabric. So I did that yesterday. I bought 4 yards, at $2.77/yard from Walmart! They have awesome prices on good quality fabric!

I'm happy to say I have cut all 48 strips from this new fabric and am very pleased with the way the blocks are coming out. I should have all the sashing on within the next 2 days, if not sooner.

Right now, I'm off to Joann's to get a yard of flannel to make a flannel board. I think it will be much easier for me to layout pieces for a block with this and it's so cheap to make! I already have the cardboard and tape, all that is needed is the flannel.

On another note, next week is April Vacation for the local schools and Angela will be off. I've promised her we would work on a quilt together and I've decided it will be a rag quilt. Either Friday or Monday we will head to Joann's or Walmart to pick out the fabric and batting and we'll get started. I will do most of the measuring and cutting, and she will do the majority of the sewing. It should be a fun project together and I can't wait to see how it comes out!

That's all for now...much love to all and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment